Oyo Explosion: Death toll rises to three, Foreign company indicted

On Wednesday, Governor Seyi Makinde revealed a mining company indicted for Tuesday’s explosion in the Bodija area of Oyo, saying the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) certificate showed some foreign names as owners of the mining company.

Makinde also reported that the death toll in the unfortunate blast has risen to three while appearing as a guest on Channels Television’s Politics Today programme on Wednesday night.

“We recovered one individual alive today (Wednesday) under the rubble. 60 of the 77 people hospitalised have been discharged,” the governor said.

“We are trying to uncover the identities of the people. We’ve done a few fact-finding on the company involved and yes, there are indeed some foreign names on the CAC documents of the company involved but these are still early days. We don’t have anything to cover,” he said.

The governor pointed out that the security agents would be inviting an individual of interest for questioning.

“It is not anything that has to do with banditry and insurgency but illegal miners that stored explosives in a residential area,” the governor explained.

The governor assured the people that the State government has nothing to hide from them.

He also assured them that those whose houses were destroyed had been provided a temporary shelter in hotels in Bodija and in the Agodi areas of the State capital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *